Prostate cancer is the most widespread type of cancer among males, for the cure of which men usually resort to surgery of prostate-removing (radical prostatectomy).
Impotence or reduced erection during sex is one of the worst horrors of men after surgery undergoing. And here men need not only the emotional and psychological support from their partners but also a serious treatment, perhaps, even psychotherapy.
Statistically, the resumption of normal sexual relations is in the range from 18% to 100%. Erectile function and sex after the prostate removal with proper treatment and lifestyle usually come back to the half of the patients. For many of them before the operation, it took place months or years without a sexual contact. But there is the postoperative period, which may give a number of unpleasant complications.
Sex life after prostate removal and recovery
Many doctors and patients report about the postoperative decrease in sexual desire. This may be caused by damage of closely spaced prostate nerve cells.
During the operation nerve endings of cells could be suffered, but the reproductive function depends on them. Half of the operated men with the help of special exercises, physiotherapy and medication, restore their sex life after six months, sometimes a little later.
It depends on several factors:
– the age;
– the state of health prior to surgery;
– the correctness of highly radical prostatectomy;
– potency level before surgery.
Tips for men after surgery
To restore the sex life after prostate removal, use the following tips:
1. Physical training. Restorative exercises plus gymnastics by Arnold Kegel are a special set of techniques to strengthen the pelvic muscles. There are special devices (electromyostimulators), changing the current pulses and causing contraction of the pelvic muscles.
2. Ascending shower. The assists are therapeutic mud baths and special showers, where the patient is seated on a special seat with holes and jets of water vertically beat him. The temperature of the water is ranging from 15 to 38 degrees, and the pressure is maintained at 1-4 atmospheres. Massaging water jets increase blood flow to the pelvic organs.
3. Physiotherapy. Traditional physical therapy after the removing of prostate cancer is not appointed, but the endoscopic surgery is considered quite sparing. It is made via “green laser”, which makes it possible to remove not the whole body, but the affected lobes of the prostate.
4. Nutrition. We recommend a minimum of salt and fats, no spices and increase of plant foods plus dairy products in the diet, a total ban on alcohol and unfortunately an avid of coffee for some time – it is better to replace it with dairy products.
5. Medications. It is recommended to consume a number of tonic generic drugs, like viagra, available in tablets of 25mg, 50mg and 100mg. For example, sildenafil citrate is used as a potency stimulant that is taken orally in one hour before planned sexual intercourse at a dose of 50mg. This dosage may be increased or decreased depending on the body reactions.